Spinach Pulao (version 2)
This is another version of spinach pulao other than the one Arthi posted. I added carrots and peas and some fresh spices and it came our really good. I hope you will like it. Here you go…
Preparation time: 40 minutes
No. of Servings: 3
Spice level: 3.5 out of 5
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Clarified butter or ghee – 1 tsp
- Shahi Jeera or Black cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped spinach – 2 cups (fresh or frozen)
- Shredded carrots – 1 cup
- Small onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp (1″ ginger and 2 to 3 garlic cloves)
- Frozen peas – 1/4 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Aniseed – 1
- Green cardamom – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
Method of Preparation:
- Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes and drain it and let it sit for 3 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan, add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf.
- Fry for a minute and add thinly sliced onions and fry till the onions become translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and let it cook for a minute.
- Now add spinach, carrot and chopped tomato. Cook for 3 minutes at medium heat.
- Add peas, salt, chili powder and coriander powder and add little water if required. cook for 3 more minutes and turn off the stove.
- Heat clarified butter or ghee in another pan, add black cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add soaked and drained basmati rice and fry for a couple of minutes at medium heat till the ghee and cumin seeds coat it well. Remove from heat.
- Add the spinach gravy and rice to rice cooker or pressure cooker and add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook.
- If you are using pressure cooker, cook for one whistle.
- Serve hot with raitha.