Chayote and Carrot Stir Fry – Chow Chow and Carrot Poriyal
Chayote is know as Chow Chow or Bengaluru Kathirikkai in tamil language. This pear shaped vegetable is low in calories and rich in nutrition. We commonly use this vegetable in sambar and other curries. Today I have made a simple chayote and carrot stir fry which can be served with rice or roti. A simple low calorie dish for everyday meal with lots of nutrients.
- Chayote or chow chow – 1 (big)
- Medium size carrots – 3
- Finely chopped shallots or onions – 1/2 cup
- A few curry leaves
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Masala to grind:
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan and add channa dal, red chilies and fennel seeds. Fry till channa dal becomes golden brown.
- Let it cool and grind it to a fine powder.
- Peel and chop the vegetables into small cubes and cook them in the microwave for 6 minutes or until soft along with a little water. Or just boil the vegetables in a kadai with a little water, covered with a lid.
- Heat a tsp of oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add urad dal and curry leaves.
- When urad dal becomes golden brown, add the cooked vegetables along with the water and add a little salt and turmeric powder.
- Keep stirring until water completely evaporates and then add the ground powder and mix well.
- Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes and turn off heat and transfer it to a serving bowl.
Recipe adapted from Rak’s kitchen.