Vazhakkai Kootu – Plantain Curry
Plantain or Vazhakkai is used widely in South Indian cuisine. The raw vegetable is used from preparing fritters to curries. Today I am going to share a wonderful recipe for preparing Vazhakkai kootu, which is a curry made of lentils, plantain and spices. You can serve it with white rice and rasam with papad or just with white rice. Try this and let me know your comments.
- Raw plantain – 2
- Tamarind juice – 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Chana dal – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1tsp
- Dry red chilies – 6
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Frozen or fresh shredded coconut – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For seasoning – Oil, mustard seeds, urad dal – 1 tsp each and a few curry leaves
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak dal for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin of plantain and cut into small cubes.
- In a small kadai or a thick bottomed vessel, add plantain, tamarind juice, little salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Heat the kadai over medium heat and let the plantain cook.
- Pressure cook dal for 3 whistle or until cooked.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add coriander seeds, chana dal, ural dal, asafoetida, dry chilies. When dal becomes golden brown add coconut and remove from heat. Mix well and let it cool. Masala is ready.
- Grind masala to a coarse paste with some water.
- Add it to cooked dal and mix well.
- Once plantain is cooked, add dal mixture, add some more salt and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add urad dal and curry leaves. Once it become golden brown, add it to the cooked plantain kootu.
- Serve with white rice and papad.