Chicken and Potato Curry
Since we started grilling a lot this summer I didn’t get a chance to make chicken curry lately. I had some potatoes sitting in my pantry and chicken in my freezer. I ended up making this simple chicken and potato curry. My mom used to make chicken curry with potatoes and I always loved it.
So far I never got a chance to make this dish before. It came out as a delicious curry that went great with some fresh chappathis.
preparation Time : 40 minutes
No Of servings : 4-5
Spice Level : 3 out of 5
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
- bay leaves
- Cinnamon sticks: 1″
- Cloves : 3
- Cardamom : 1
- Cashews: 4-5
- Potatoes : 1 (Cut into cubes)( iF you are using baby potatoes use 3-4 of them)
- Onions: 1 (medium)(If you shallots(7-8) it will taste even better)
- Tomatoes : 2
- Whole Chicken : 2 lb
- Turmeric powder: 1tsp
- Red chili powder : 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder : 1 tbsp
- Ginger and garlic Paste : 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves : 5-6
- Coconut Milk : 1/2 cup
Method Of Preparation:
Method 1 (If you are not using pressure cooker):
- Heat oil in a large kadai after that add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cardamom.
- After it sputters add chopped onions fry them till it become translucent and add ginger and garlic paste fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the chicken mix it all together let it sit in heat for 2 minutes.
- After that add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes with curry leaves and potatoes(skin peeled) and 1 cup of water.
- Close it with a lid and let it sit in medium heat until the chicken and potatoes get cooked. It will take approximately about 20 minutes.
- Every other 5 minutes open the lid and gently mix the curry.
- Finally add the coconut milk and let it come to full boil. Then remove from heat garnish it with coriander leaves.
Method 2(If you are using pressure cooker):
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker add add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cardamom.
- After it sputters add chopped onions fry them for 2 minutes and add ginger and garlic paste fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the chicken mix it all together.
- After that add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder mix it gently and add tomatoes with curry leaves .
- Now add 1 cup of water and add salt. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Now boil the potatoes separately and keep them aside and marinade the cooked potatoes with 1/2 cup of coconut milk and keep them aside.
- Once the pressure is released open the lid and add the coconut milk potato mixture and again let this curry sit in the heat for 4-5 minutes or until you get the consistency you want.