A lot of people are put of by the thought of making biryani because it is usually so involved and time consuming. This recipe will change their mind when they find out how easy it is to cook some delicious spicy biryani.
I got this recipe from my good friend Neeru who made this for us and it was so delicious. Unlike Dum Biryani this is made with pressure cooker and it is the kind of biryani our moms would make on weekends and we would eat it at watching our favorite movies. Hope you like this recipe and if it comes out well let us know and I’ll let Neeru know.
Preparation Time : 60 minutes
Spice Level : 4 out of 5
No of servings : 3-4
- Chicken : 500gms
- Basmati Rice : 2 cups
- Onion : 1 (large)(chopped into lenghtwise)
- Tomatoes : 2
- Ginger & Garlic Paste : 11/2 tbsp
- Oil : 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon stick : 1″
- Cloves : 3
- Bay leaves : 1
- White Vinegar : 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder : 2 tbsp
- Green chilies : 3
- Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Chicken Masala powder : 1 tbsp (optional) (It can be available in all Indian stores)
- Coriander leaves : 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Mint leaves : 1/4 cup(chopped)
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- water : 3 cups
Method Of Preparation :
- Wash and clean chicken and marinade it with 3 tbsp of yogurt, 1/2 tbsp of ginger & garlic paste, 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder and 1/2 tsp vinegar.
- wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. After that fry the rice in ghee just for 2-3 minutes. Keep it aside
- Keep it aside or in refrigerator and let it marinade for atleast an hour or 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaves after that add onions.
- Fry them till it gets translucent or until golden brown now add the ginger & garlic paste.
- Fry them for 3-4 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- After that add the chopped tomatoes mix them well and add required salt.
- Let it sit in the simmer heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces cook them for about 2 minutes in medium heat.
- Add the half of chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix them well.
- After that add remaining red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and chicken masala powder.
- Fry it all together for about 5 minutes or until the oil separates on top.
- Now add the remaining yogurt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for one whistle. If you don’t have weight valve pressure cooker, pressure cook them in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After that remove from heat and once the pressure is released open the lid.
- Now Measure the water from that pressure cooked gravy and keep it aside. We need 31/2 cups of water for 2 cup basmati rice. So just take 31/2 cups of water from that gravy and keep it aside.
- Now place the pressure cooker with gravy back on the stove in medium heat and add the fried rice from step 2.
- Mix them well, add the 31/2 cups of water from step 15(we don’t need more than that). Add the remaining coriander leaves, mint leaves and 1/2 tbsp of ghee.
- Mix everything well and again pressure cook it for one whistle or cook in medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released serve it hot with boiled eggs, raitha and chicken curry.