Spicy Chicken Biryani

Spicy Chicken Biryani

A lot of people are put of by the thought of making biryani because it is usually so involved and time consuming. This recipe will change their mind when they find out how easy it is to cook some delicious spicy biryani.

I got this recipe from my good friend Neeru who made this for us and it was so delicious. Unlike Dum Biryani this is made with pressure cooker and it is the kind of biryani our moms would make on weekends and we would eat it at watching our favorite movies. Hope you like this recipe and if it comes out well let us know and I’ll let Neeru know.

Preparation Time : 60 minutes
Spice Level : 4 out of 5
No of servings : 3-4

Ingredients:

• Chicken : 500gms
  • Basmati Rice : 2 cups
  • Onion : 1 (large)(chopped into lenghtwise)
  • Tomatoes : 2
  • Ginger & Garlic Paste : 11/2 tbsp
  • Oil : 1/4 cup
  • Cinnamon stick : 1″
  • Cloves : 3
  • Bay leaves : 1
  • White Vinegar : 1/2 tsp
  • Red chili powder : 2 tbsp
  • Green chilies : 3
  • Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
  • Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 tbsp
  • Chicken Masala powder : 1 tbsp (optional) (It can be available in all Indian stores)
  • Coriander leaves : 1/2 cup (chopped)
  • Mint leaves : 1/4 cup(chopped)
  • Yogurt : 1/2 cup
  • water : 3 cups

Method Of Preparation :
  1. Wash and clean chicken and marinade it with 3 tbsp of yogurt, 1/2 tbsp of ginger & garlic paste, 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder and 1/2 tsp vinegar.
  2. wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. After that fry the rice in ghee just for 2-3 minutes. Keep it aside
  3. Keep it aside or in refrigerator and let it marinade for atleast an hour or 30 minutes.
  4. Heat oil in a pan add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaves after that add onions.
  5. Fry them till it gets translucent or until golden brown now add the ginger & garlic paste.
  6. Fry them for 3-4 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
  7. After that add the chopped tomatoes mix them well and add required salt.
  8. Let it sit in the simmer heat for 3-4 minutes.
  9. Now add the marinated chicken pieces cook them for about 2 minutes in medium heat.
  10. Add the half of chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix them well.
  11. After that add remaining red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and chicken masala powder.
  12. Fry it all together for about 5 minutes or until the oil separates on top.
  13. Now add the remaining yogurt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for one whistle. If you don’t have weight valve pressure cooker, pressure cook them in medium heat for 15 minutes.
  14. After that remove from heat and once the pressure is released open the lid.
  15. Now Measure the water from that pressure cooked gravy and keep it aside. We need 31/2 cups of water for 2 cup basmati rice. So just take 31/2 cups of water from that gravy and keep it aside.
  16. Now place the pressure cooker  with gravy back on the stove in medium heat and add the fried rice from step 2.
  17. Mix them well, add the 31/2 cups of water from step 15(we don’t need more than that). Add the remaining coriander leaves, mint leaves and 1/2 tbsp of ghee.
  18. Mix everything well and again pressure cook it for one whistle or cook in medium heat for 20 minutes.
  19. Once the pressure is released serve it hot with boiled eggs, raitha and chicken curry.
Print Friendly

, , , ,

48 Responses to Spicy Chicken Biryani

1. Tina November 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Sooooo tempting and spicy biriyani…

2. Tina November 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

Its really tempting yaar…Luv spicy biryani…

3. Sharmilee November 21, 2011 at 12:51 am #

Looks perfectly done, flavourful and yummy biriyani

4. Reva November 21, 2011 at 3:18 am #

Truly mouth watering..:) I love this royal dish.. warms up a cold winter evening..:)
    Reva

5. Nicole Gamble November 21, 2011 at 5:18 am #

Great recipe ! I made it! It`s delicious!!! And it looks great , too!

6. andreea-elena November 21, 2011 at 8:52 am #

wow, delicious, I will try ur recipe!

7. Priya November 21, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Omg, briyani makes me hungry.

8. alpana November 21, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Very nice & delicious……..

9. Irene November 21, 2011 at 11:04 am #

Delicious :)

10. divya November 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

wow…sounds absolutely tempting…excellent clicks

11. Ananya November 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

What brand of chicken masala have you used from the Indian store….there are lots of brands can you specify the one you used to make this special biryani….

• shriya November 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

I’ve used Sakthi Chicken masala. Personally I love sakthi products, it gives very good taste and flavor.

• sonia July 23, 2012 at 4:31 am #

hi
        i would like to know have you ever posted a recipe of chicken biriyani (an easy one) in any other site…because i ahd come through one like that & site name was the same if my memory is correct..i wanted to thank you for that, but cant find that page :(

12. Ananya November 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Can you pls specify which biryani masala is used there are lot of them available at the indian store …..which brand have you used to make the special biryani..

13. Ananya November 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

I was at the store that is why you see the same comment twice….thanks I will try making this and see if I am finally successful…looks yummy though…

14. Medha November 24, 2011 at 1:14 am #

Wow this Biryani looks yummy.Planning to make it over the weekend for Thanksgiving

15. Vidhya December 3, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

Shriya,I made your biriyani today.No words to say.It was delicious.Thanks for this great receipe.You three are rocking.Wonderful website.

• shriya December 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks vidhya, I am glad you like it.

16. sruthi December 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

looks great but y u adding so much water then filtering it, then whistling twice? better u can add rice aft chicken with 3 1/2 measured cup of water for one whistle.. gng to make it tomo so will u answer me?

• shriya December 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Hi sruthi, As you said we can add chicken with rice and pressure cook for two whistle. But in this method when you pressure cook the chicken separately and use that gravy water for cooking biryani tastes soo good. why I am asking to measure 31/2 cups means if you add all that gravy(if it’s more than 31/2 cups) into that rice you won’t get fluffy rice instead you will be getting sticky rice. You don’t want your biryani to be sticky rgt. That’s why I am asking to measure that gravy water(Correct amount of water is so important in making biryani) for biryani. If you still have question please feel free to leave your comment here.

17. Soundra December 20, 2011 at 4:24 am #

Your recipe looks really delicious.. Wanna try it today..

Can we add lemon instead of vinegar ?

Also my pressure cooker whistles often, so i usually keep my rice for 7 min after the first whistle. In that case do you think one whistle would work or let me know the minutes to keep it pressure cooked both chicken as well as rice.

Thanks,
    Soundra.

18. Nitasha December 20, 2011 at 6:27 am #

Hiya! Loved your blog very much.I think it’s one of the best with lots of different recipes to suit every taste. Just one question, after you pressure cook the chicken,do you remove the chicken completely from the cooker when you cook the rice? If so,is the chicken added to the rice at the end? I know this is a silly question,but my excuse is that I am a biriyani beginner.Bye.

19. Soundra December 24, 2011 at 4:10 am #

Hi,

Tried your recipe. Came out really really well.. Yummy it was !!!\

@Nitasha : You need to pressure cook the chicken for one vessel.
    Then remove all the water from the cooked chicken gravy and add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked water for 1 cup of basmati rice. Both the rice and chicken are again pressure cooked for one more vessel.

Comes out exactly the same as in the pic :)))

Regards,
    Soundra.

• Nitasha December 24, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Hi Soundra,
      Thanks for clearing that up.I did make this Chicken Biriyani ,but I cooked the rice in the gravy for 2 whistles.Then I used a little leftover gravy to serve with the biriyani.But I cooked the chicken & reduced the gravy until it was dry & then added it to the rice.But what you have suggested makes more sense & uses less time & gas.Silly me!
      Thanks to Shriya for sharing this recipe with us.This was the first time,biriyani has ever come out properly for me.

20. Uma February 25, 2012 at 7:16 am #

I made this receipe today. It came out good. It’s very tasty. good shriya. Thank u.

21. Sherry March 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Tried this recipe & came out super. Hats off to the chef. 3 1/2 cups h20…. That was the bit nervous part & it just came out perfect & everybody loved it. Thanks a lot. Lot lot …. :)

22. Sara April 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

This recipe is absolutely splendid. My husband (who is from India) and I have both made it several times. Instead of chicken, we used leg of lamb and cubed the meat, cooking it the same way.

• shriya April 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Thanks all of u for the lovely comments… Glad u all enjoyed it.

23. justin May 28, 2012 at 7:18 am #

i made this biryani twice and the result was “i stood proud infront of my friends and family” for giving them the biryani which i cooked by your way….thanks for the easy and excellent recipe….

24. Shubha June 21, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Hi Shriya.Cooked your biryani today.Came out great.I used Everest shahi biryani masala instead of chicken masala.Also I did not add any water while cooking chicken and added only 21/2 cups of water with rice.It came out excellent.Also this method consumes less amt of ghee/oil.Thanks for a great recipe.Looking forward for more such recipes.Thanks.

25. kavitha July 13, 2012 at 11:48 am #

nice…. biriyani!!!!!!!!!!

26. alka ryezen August 9, 2012 at 2:21 am #

actually mixing curd in the chicken gives the briyani a sour taste which is not so gud…

27. dundu August 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

My husband really loved this rice… Thanks a lot….

28. Reba Varghese October 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

The Biryani came out really well, easy, simple and tasty…

29. Ramyababu October 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Today I made this spicy chicken biryani.. wow…..!!.. it was very nice and tasty.. my hubby liked it very much… thank u….

• colleen December 11, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I need to prepare mutton curry for 100 people using a whole mutton sheep. Can you please assist me with the correct measurements as to how much and what spices to use please. i am from South Africa

30. JINNY January 16, 2013 at 8:42 am #

SUPRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    YUMMY

31. sindhu January 17, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

in step number 13, do we hav to put the chicken also in the cooker? or just yougurt n water?

32. Krishna Leela February 27, 2013 at 9:30 am #

Do we have to put the chicken pieces also or just the gravy ? If so , then when to add the chicken pieces and when ?

33. Krishna Leela February 27, 2013 at 9:37 am #

I mean ‘how ‘ ? :)

34. sweety June 25, 2013 at 5:37 am #

i made it this recipe is just awesome and easy too……………i loved it…!!!

35. merlin spinz July 24, 2013 at 2:18 am #

may i know y the name came as thallaakattu briyaani

36. dhivya August 27, 2013 at 11:20 am #

briyani recipe is good so palatable to eat

37. jayashri October 21, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Its a great recipe for a beginner. Very simple. But a lengthy procedure.. To tell you this was d first biryani I ever made. It was simply awesome. Taste was wow. Cudnt stop licking my fingers at d end. Thanks to u.
    Can u plz share some spicy recipes for salmon fish, let it be a dry or gravy or both:-)
    Good luck

38. swetha November 10, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! I am a vegetarian and I made this for my friends. This was super hit.

39. Bhavna December 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Tried this recipe. Came out well.. Thanks for the recipe.

40. Mini May 23, 2015 at 6:42 am #

Hello Shriya! Thanks to you for a really delicious chicken biriyani recipe. Earlier when I used to cook the rice and chicken together, I used to wonder why the flavours were not infused in the chicken pieces. Got my answer in your recipe. A very good idea – this cooking of chicken first and then using for biriyani. I received a lot of appreciation, thanks to you!