Chicken Chettinad is another authentic south Indian dish. Chettinad is a very special and popular style of cooking in Tamilnadu. They are known for a variety of dishes and Chettinad Chicken has to be the king of them. You’ll find this listed in almost every South Indian restaurant menu . The chicken is cooked with some distinct ingredients such as poppy seeds , fennel seeds, coriander seeds that give a very special aroma to the curry. Chettinad is known for its culinary delicacies. Chettinad food, now is one of the many reasons why people get to know Chettinad.
- Chicken :800gm (with bone)
- onion: 1 1/2 (medium) (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes : 2 (finely chopped)
- Oil : 2 tbps
- Salt : required to tatse
- water : 1 1/2 cups
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves : 4 to 6
- Lemon juice : 1tsp
For Masala Paste:
- Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1tsp
- Fennel seeds : 1tsp
- Poppy seeds : 1 1/2 tsp
- Whole red chilies : 6 to 8
- Coconut : 4 tbsp (grated)
- Cinnamon : 1″
- Cloves and cardamom : 2 each
- Ginger and garlic : 2 tsp (finely chopped)
Method of Preparation :
- Roast all the ingredients in a little oil except ginger and garlic. Let it cool for few seconds.
- Grind them all together with ginger and garlic. Grind it in to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add bay leaves and onions fry them till onions turn in to golden brown.
- After that add the ground masala paste, curry leaves, turmeric powder and fry them for like 5 minutes and then add the chicken in to it.
- Mix it all together so the masala blend with chicken and cook them for 3 to 4 minutes in medium heat.
- Now add the tomatoes and required salt.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 3 minutes in medium heat.
- After that add 1 1/2 cups of water into it and close the lid .
- Boil the gravy for like 8 minutes in medium heat or till the oil separates in the top.
- Finally add the lemon juice on top of it and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve it hot with chapathi, dosa and rice.