Tandoori Chicken is another staple item in any Indian restaurant menu and is one of the best liked items as well. Tandoori Chicken is a chicken dish that originated in the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. Chicken is marinated in yogurt and seasoned with tandoori masala. It has a lot of history behind it going back to the Mughal age.
Tandoor cooked chicken actually dates back to the Mughal peroid. A man named Kundan Lal Gujral ran a restaurant called Moti Mahal in Peshawar before the partition of India. Trying out new recipes to keep his patrons interested, Gujral tried cooking chicken in tandoors (clay ovens) used by locals until then to cook naans (bread). The tandoors are bell-shaped ovens, set into the earth and fired with wood or charcoal reaching temperatures of about 900 degrees. Gujral was able to cook the tender chickens in these ovens making them succulent inside and crispy outside. After the partition in 1947, Punjab was partitioned with the Eastern portion joining India and the Western, Pakistan. Peshawar became part of Pakistan and Gujral found himself one among many refugees fleeing the rioting and upheaval by moving to India. He moved his restaurant to Delhi in a place called Daryagunj. The fame of Tandoori Chicken led to many derivatives like Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken, commonly found in menus in Indian restaurants all over the world.
- Chicken drumsticks : 5
- Yoghurt : 4tbsp
- Red chili Powder : 3tbsp
- salt : 2tsp
- Cumin powder:1/4tsp
- Pepper Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger and garlic Paste: 1 1/2tbsp
- Garam Masala powder : 1/2tbsp
- turmeric Powder : 1tsp
- Red color powder : as required
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- White Vinegar : 1tbsp
Method Of Preparation:
- Wash and clean the chicken and make a slit on the sides of chicken flesh so that the marinade is allowed to penetrate.
- Now mix 2 tbsp of red chili powder with salt and 1 tbsp of lemon juice and rub it into the slit parts of chicken .
- Now the main marinade part is mix all the ingredients one by one .
- Take a large bowl with 4 tbsp of yogurt and add the remaining red chili powder, pepper powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, vinegar , red color, lime juice and mix it all together .
- Now add the chicken pieces in to that and make sure to apply the mixtures in between the slits and add a little oil on top it .
- Marinade it for over night or 4 hrs.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit . Cook for 20 to 25 minutes till the chicken is tender by turning it over.
- After that remove it from oven
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan add the chicken pieces one by one and just shallow fry it for 3 to 4 minutes
- So that the tandoori will be little crispier and it tastes really good.
Serve it hot with lemon wedges and some onions