Jack fruit seeds and Eggplant Curry
When I started writing this recipe I was a little curious about jack fruit seeds calories and nutrient facts. It is 70Kcal/50gm and the nutrient factors are its is a rich source of vitamins like vitamin A, C and certain B vitamins, and minerals like calcium, zinc, and phosphorous. Jack fruit cultivation is pretty popular in most south part of India. My mom used to make a lot of dishes in jack fruit seeds. When I say seeds, remember this is Jack Fruit – the seeds are almost the size of orange slices! But, it tastes so good and I really miss them here in the US. My eldest sister made this recipe she sent me the picture and recipe of this dish. I don’t get jack fruit seeds here, I wish I can get some. Doesn’t the dish look delicious? If you live in a place where you can get jack fruit seeds try this recipe and let me know how you liked it.
- Jack fruit seeds : 10-12
- Egg plant: 4
- Vegetable Oil : 5 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Onion : 1(medium)
- Tomato : 1(medium)
- Garlic : 7
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves : 6-7
- Coriander Powder : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup
- Coconut : 1/4 (shredded)
Method of Preparation :
- Peel the skin of jack fruit seeds and cut them into two lengthwise.
- Boil the jack fruit when its cooked drain the water and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds and mustard when it sputters add the chopped onion fry them till it becomes translucent.
- After that add garlic and curry leaves fry them for 4 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes and salt mix it all together.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder mix it all together and cook them in medium heat.
- When the masala smell goes off add eggplant (cut them into lengthwise) and add half cup of water.
- Cook them in medium heat with lid closed for 10 minutes.
- when the consistency of the curry becomes thick and eggplant is cooked completely add the boiled jack fruit seeds and let them sit in heat for another 4 minutes.
- After that garnish with the coriander leaves and shredded coconut and remove them from heat.
Serve it hot with rice or chapathi.