Mochakottai/Lima Beans kuzhambhu
I still remember those days when my mom makes Mochakottai kuzhambhu the house is filled with such a nice aroma. I still remember the taste and flavor when she makes it. She makes the best Kara kuzhambhu I’ve ever tasted in my life. I’ve tried to make it tastes like her but somehow I miss that perfect flavor.
This time when I made it with her secret recipe it came out absolutely perfect and tastes soo delicious and flavorful. Try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
Lima beans, like many other legumes, are a good source of dietary fiber, and a virtually fat-free source of high quality protein.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Spice Level : 3 out of 5
No of servings : 4-5
- Sesame Oil : 2 tbsp
- Mochakottai(Dry): 11/2 cups(cooked)
- Small onion/ Pearl Onion: 1/2 cup or 7-8
- Garlic : 6
- Tomatoes : 2
- Curry Leaves : 6-7
- Fenugreek Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Vadagam : 1 tbsp (optional)
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind Extract: 3/4 cup and add 11/2 cup of water
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 11/2tbsp or You can use Sambar Powder(instead of red chili and coriander powder) : 2 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
Method of Preparation:
- In a wide bowl mix tamarind extract with 1 1/2 cups of water and red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix it all together and keep it aside.
- Soak the Lima beans overnight and pressure cook it with enough water and add 1 tsp of salt for 3 whistles or till it becomes soft. Keep it aside.
- Make the liquid little sour in taste, so adjust the tamarind extract.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add fenugreek seeds and vadagam (optional) fry them for couple minutes.
- Then add chopped onions and garlic. Fry them till onion gets translucent.
- After that add curry leaves and tomatoes. Fry them till it becomes soft.
- After that add the tamarind mix prepared from step 1 mix it all together. Adjust the spice level by tasting a little.
- Now add the pressure cooked Mochakottai and mix it well.
- Let it boil in medium heat for 20-30 minutes until the masala smell goes off and oil starts to separate on top and gravy becomes thick.
- After that remove from heat and serve it with rice.