Pattani Sundal-Green Peas Sundal
In South India, if there is one thing Navrathri days will bring to mind is the delicious varieties of sundals made and shared with visitors 9 days of Golu will see different variations and recipes of sundal (gram) served hot.. They are rich in protein and makes a great evening snack on any day. This variety of sundal is one of my favorites my mom used to make this when I was in school and served it when I got back from school. And the other specialty of this sundal is it’s so popular in beach, if you have been to Marina beach or the Elliott’s beach in chennai, you’d find this selling fast with some fresh onions and raw mango slivers. Ah.. I still remember those golden days with my friends we used to go to beach to eat this hot sundal. If you have similar memories, hope making this or atleast reading this takes you down your memory lane!
- Dry Green Peas : 1 cup
- Onion : 3tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green chili : 3 to 4
- Garlic :1
- Ginger : 1/4″
- Cumin seeds : 1/4tsp
- Coconut : 2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt : required to taste
- Oil : 1tbsp
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Urad dal : 1tsp
- Whole red chili : 2
- Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Method of Preparation :
- Soak the dry green peas overnight in a warm water .
- And pressure cook the soaked green peas with water and little salt for 2 whistle in medium flame.
- After that strain the water and keep the coked peas aside.
- Now grind the chopped onion , cumin seeds, ginger garlic and green chilies in to a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, urad dal after it sputter add the whole red chili and ground masala fry them till the raw smell goes off from the masala or fry them for like 4 to 5 minutes .
- Now add the curry leaves mix it all together and add the drained & cooked green peas .
- Stir well and let it stand in the heat for upto 4 minutes in low flame.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with some coconut (shredded) if you want.
Serve it hot .
If you are in hurry or if you forgot to soak it overnight no worries. soak the peas in hot water for an hour and close it tightly with some air-tight container or if you have hotpack then its so easy.