Peanut Mango Sundal
Sundal is a healthy snack prepared from different kind of lentils or legume which is boiled and seasoned with Indian spices. Peanut Mango Sundal is one of the popular sundal and I made it today as “Navratri neivedhyam”. Adding mango is an option. You can leave it out and follow the rest of the procedure to make plain peanut sundal. But the addition of fresh mango will give a kick to each bite and I just love it. Try this easy recipe for an evening snack or for your kids snack pack (you can reduce the spice in that case).
- Peanuts (verkadalai ) – 3/4 cup
- Finely chopped raw mango – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves (4 to 5)
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Fresh or frozen shredded coconut – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/8 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak peanuts for 2 hours or for an hour in hot water.
- Pressure cook peanuts with a cup of water and a little salt for 3 to 4 whistles or until fully cooked.
- Strain the cooked peanuts and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida and dry chilies.
- When urad dal becomes golden brown add peanuts and mix well.
- After a minute add finely chopped mango followed by coconut. Mix well.
- Toss for a minute at low heat and sprinkle red chili powder and stir well.
- Remove from heat and transfer it to a serving bowl. Peanut Mango Sundal is ready.