Macaroni and Cheese also called Mac and Cheese is a well known dish and also a favorite dish among kids. Who doesn’t love cheese, specially kids? But if you are health conscious you can substitute some of the high calorie ingredients with low fat or non fat ones such as milk with skim milk and cheese with low fat cheese. It is always good to eat home made dishes, especially when it comes to high calorie food as we are aware of what we throw in and alter them if we need. I am not against outside food but I would prefer home food. Again I adapted this dish from Food Network and altered it a bit here and there to my style. Here you go…
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Spice level: 2 out of 5
No. of servings: 8 to 10
- Elbow macaroni – 1 pound
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp (I used “I can’t believe it’s not butter”)
- All purpose flour or maida – 6 tbsp
- White mustard powder – 2 tbsp
- Chopped onions – 1 cup
- Milk – 5 cups ( I used 2 cups of skim milk and 3 cups of 1% milk)
- Cheddar cheese – 1 1/2 cup
- Pepper Jack cheese – 1/2 cup
- Red chili flakes – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Kosher salt – 2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- Black pepper – 1 tbsp
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- In a large pot bring water to boil and add some salt and a tbsp of olive oil and stir well.
- Add macaroni shells and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan and add flour and mustard powder to make a paste.
- Stir in milk, onions, bay leaves, red chili flakes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and add a cup of cheddar cheese and the pepper jack cheese.
- Season it with some salt and pepper and stir it for a couple of minutes.
- Now stir in the cooked pasta shells and remove from heat.
- Transfer the contests to a baking dish and top it with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Heat 2 tbsp of unsalted butter in a pan and add bread crumbs and toss for a minute or two.
- Now top the macaroni with the bread crumbs and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or till the corners starts bubbling and browning.
- Remove from oven and serve after 5 minutes.