Jigarthanda – Simple Cold Drink
Jigarthanda is a popular cold beverage in Madurai, Tamilnadu. I had this drink in Chennai at Murugan Idli Shop and I just loved it. I watched them made it step by step but was not sure what was in the bottom of the drink which was delicious. And then she said it is badam pisin (almond tree gum) which is available in herbal medicine shop (Naatu marundhu kadai) or in some grocery shops. It is good for health. I bought it and tried it at home and it came out so good. Hope you all enjoy this drink.
- Badam pisin (Almond tree gum) – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla ice cream – 2 scoops
- Whole Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1/3 cup (adjust to taste)
- Nannari syrup – 2 tbsp
- Rose essence – 4 tsp
- Slivered pistachios for garnishing
Method of Preparation:
- Soak badam pisin in double the amount of water over night. It will be doubled and will be like jelly.
- Boil milk in a sauce pan over medium heat and simmer the heat.
- Allow milk to thicken and become half the quantity. Add sugar and let it become a thick liquid.
- In a serving cup, add half of the badam pisin or how much ever you want. Add 2 tbsp of milk.
- Add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and add a tbsp of nannari syrup and rose essence on top.
- Garnish with pistachios.