Summer is here and market has long lines of fresh fruits. I am a big fan of berries and I know it has some good nutritional value. Smoothies are a great way to consume these delicious fruits on a hot summer day. In addition to berries, banana always adds a nice twist in flavor to a smoothie.
Berry colors are due to natural plant pigments, many of which are polyphenols such as the flavonoids, anthocyanins, and tannins localized mainly in berry skins and seeds. Berry pigments are usually antioxidants in vitro and thus have oxygen radical absorbance capacity (“ORAC”) that is high among plant foods. Together with good nutrient content, ORAC derived in the laboratory distinguishes several berries within a new category of functional foods called “superfruits”. However, there is no physiological evidence established to date that berry polyphenols have actual antioxidant value within the human body and it remains invalid to claim that polyphenols have antioxidant health value on product labels in the United States and Europe.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
No of servings : 1-2
- Mixed berries : 1 1/4 cups (Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry) (you can use frozen berries too)
- Ripe Banana : 1 cup (sliced)
- Vanilla yogurt: 1/2 cup (I’ve used fat free)
- Milk: 3/4 cup (I’ve used 2% milk)
- Sugar: 2tbsp (adjust according to your sweet level)
Method Of Preparation :
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned above in a blender.
- Process them until it becomes smooth.
- Serve it chilled with a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top.
I am sending this smoothie recipe to Divya’s Show me your Smoothie Contest !!!
I like my smoothie without Ice cream How about you?