Chicken Fajitas are one of our favorite Mexican dishes. There is something about the juicy grilled chicken in combination with sauteed bell peppers and onions wrapped in warm flour or corn tortilla. It is heavenly.
We just bought a new grill this summer and have been cooking on it a lot lately. I’ve bought some fresh tortilla at the store the other day and decided to make Chicken Fajitas.
What other dish could scream summer like colors of the bell peppers and the grilled chicken. You could also use the same recipe to make Steak fajitas too.
Preparation Time : 30 mins
No of servings: 3-4
- Chicken Breasts/Thighs : 1 1/2 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- Onion : 1 ( large) ( cut into 1/4 inch strips)
- Bell peppers : 3 ( yellow, red and green) ( cut into 1/4 inch strips)
- Zucchini : 2 ( medium) ( cut into 1/4 inch strips)
- Tortillas : 5-6
- Olive oil : 1/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar/Regular vinegar : 2 tbsp
- Honey : 1/4 tsp
- Cup water : 1/4
- Fresh lime juice : 1 tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce : 1/2 tbsp
- Hot sauce : 1/4 tsp
- Garlic : 3 ( minced)
- Oregano Leaves : 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce : 1tsp
Method Of Preparation :
- You can use this marinade mix mentioned above or Fajita seasonings from store.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade and place them in a glass bowl or Ziploc bag.
- Wash the chicken and put into the marinade mix above. I happen to like chicken thighs so I use them in this recipe. If you are concerned about fat intake use chicken breast.
- Marinade the chicken for couple of hours or you can marinade overnight.
- Now Slice all the vegetables and add 1 tbsp lime juice, salt and pepper into them. Keep it aside for an hour.
- You can either grill or just pan fry the marinade chicken.
- For pan fry you should cut the chicken into 1/4 inch strips.
- Heat your cast iron or non-stick pan and add a tbsp of olive oil/vegetable oil. Once it’s hot add the chicken and turn them as they cook.
- It’s usually cook fast between 5-8 minutes, because the chicken pieces are pretty small.
- Remove them from heat once it’s done.
- Now add the marinade veggies into the pan and cook. Cook them in high heat for about 3-4 minutes and till it becomes little crunch(make sure you don’t burn them).
Grilling the chicken fajita:
- I’ve used this method for my chicken fajita. Just preheat your grill and place all your chicken breasts( don’t cut them if you try this method).
- Cook them until it’s done and remove from heat, now cut them into 1/4 inch strips.
- You can just grill the vegetables for few minutes and fry them in the pan mentioned in step 10.
- You can either just microwave the tortillas for 5 minutes or if you use grill just place them for 3-4 minutes.
- Or Warm all your flour tortillas in the oven by wrapping them in foil and placing in a 250 degree oven for a 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally serve your fajita by placing your chicken and veggies into them and wrap it.
- Serve it with guacamole and sour cream.