Aval Payasam (Beaten Rice Pudding) and Happy Pongal 2011
Wish you all a Happy Pongal!!!!!!
It is traditional to make pudding (Payasam) for special occasions like Pongal festival. So I made this aval payasam and it came out really good. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it too.
Aval/Poha is nothing but beaten rice. It looks like dry rice flakes.
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
No of Servings : 4-5
- Aval: 2 cups
- Ghee: 2 tbsp
- Condensed milk: 1/4 cup
- Milk: 3 cups
- Sugar: 1/4 cup (adjust according to your taste)
- Cardamom Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Pista (pistachio nuts), cashews, almonds and dry grapes : 1/2 cup
Method of Preparation :
- Heat a tbsp of ghee and fry the poha/aval for couple of mins or till it become light golden brown and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee and fry all the nuts and keep it aside.
- In a wide pan add 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tbsp of water. Bring it to boil, when it becomes dark brown add the fried poha.
- Mix it all together and add a cup of milk. Bring it to full boil and let it sit in heat for couple of minutes.
- Now add the condensed milk and bring it to boil.
- Now add another cup of milk, mix it all together and let it sit in the heat for another couple of minutes.
- Finally add the remaining milk and mix it all together, bring it to full boil till the mixture gets thick and creamy.
- Finally garnish with fried nuts and remove from heat.
- Serve it hot or cold.
Enjoy and Happy Pongal!