Crab is one of my most favorite non vegetarian dishes. Growing up in a town close to the Bay of Bengal, we had no shortage of fresh seafood. In fact, my mom used to make crab atleast once in every 2 weeks.Crab can be made into delightful dishes in various forms and recipes. Crab Curry has to rank amongst the top contenders there. And this is another one of my sister’s (Suja) recipe and as usual it turned out to be a mind blowing entree. If you have a love for crab meat, I welcome you to try this recipe and let me know how it turned out. If you made your own modifications to it, also share it with me. After all cooking is part experimentation + part personalization (kai pakkuvam in Tamil).Â
- Crab : 2 pounds (I used King crab legs)
- Onions : 1 (medium and finely chopped)
- Garlic : 5 (pressed)
- Dry red chilies: 5
- Coconut chopped : 1/4 cup
- Cumin : 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns :1/2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds : /4 tsp
- Cinnamon : 1″
- Tomatoes : 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves : 5- 6
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
- Oil : 3 tbsp
Method Of Prepartion:
- Separately fry the the red chilies, peppercorns, fennel seeds, cinnamon and cumin.
- Grind them with chopped coconut into a thick paste and keep the masala aside.
- Wash the crab and steam them for 10 minutes in medium heat. If you are using already cooked crab you still have to steam for 5 minutes.Â
- After that remove from heat (if you like crab with shell skip this step) remove the shell.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the onions, fry them till it becomes translucent.
- Now add the pressed garlic, little salt and the above ground masala and mix it well.
- Now add the tomatoes, curry laeves, turmeric powder and the required remaining salt into it.
- Let them cook for about 4-5 minutes in medium heat with lid covered.
- When the masala smell goes off, add the crab meat (removed from shell) gently mix it with the masalas and add water to your liking for gravy consistency (about 1/2 cup) or you can just make it dry. Finally add a tbsp of oil on top of it.
- Let them boil for about 8 minutes in medium heat.
- After that remove from heat and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve it hot and enjoy!