Fish puttu is a traditional kerala dish. It’s usually cooked with shark or king fish. In south India we call it as “sura puttu” and it is most popular in all non-vegeterian cooking. It goes well with fish kuzhambhu and sambar.
It can also be a great side-dish for biryani. It’s hard to find shark meat where we live, so I substitute it with Tilapia, which actually taste almost as good as shark puttu. If you are lucky to get shark meat use that instead. It’s very easy to make and tastes awesome.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
No of servings: 4-5
Spice Level: 3 out of 5
- Fish : 800gms (You can use any fish, I’ve used Tilapia)
- Onion : 1 (large) (finely chopped)
- Garlic pods : 8-9 (finely chopped)
- Green chilies : 6-7 (Finely chopped) (Adjust chilies according to your spice level)
- Curry Leaves : 8-9
- Coriander Leaves : few for garnishing.
- Oil : 3tbsp
- Turemric Powder : 2 tsp
- Salt : according to your taste
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Urad dal : 1 tsp
Method Of Preparation :
- Steam the fish until it gets cooked, usually Tilapia gets cooked very fast ( like in around 5 minutes). But when you using shark it will take some time to get cooked. So you have to adjust your timing according to the type of fish you are using.
- Once the above process is done remove from heat and just shred it into small pieces by using your hand.
- Heat oil in a wide pan add mustard seeds and urad dal once it sputters add the chopped onion.
- Fry them till it becomes golden brown and add the chopped garlic and green chilies. Fry them all together for about 3-5 minutes.
- Now add the turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves and finally the shredded fish.
- Mix it all together and let it cook in simmer heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish it with coriander leaves.