Nethili Fish (Anchovies) Kuzhambhu
First of all I want to say a big sorry to all my readers for not posting any recipes for a while. I’ve great news to share with you all.
We are expecting!!!!!
Now that I am past my morning sickness and big trip to India, I am happy to post one of my favorite recipe today.
In my recent trip, my mom made this Nethili fish (anchovies) kuzhambhu and it tasted like heaven. When I came back I found some fresh Anchovies in Oriental market. I was so happy and I made this curry out of it. this fish kuzhambhu recipe is a little different from the last one I posted.
- Nethili Meen (anchovies) :1/2 lb
- Onion : 2 tbsp
- Garlic : 4
- Tomato : 2 (medium)
- Oil : 4 tbsp
- Vadagam : 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves : 4-5
- Sesame Oil : 1 tbsp
- Tamarind water : 1 cup
- Red chili Powder : 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
Method Of Preparation :
- Wash and clean the fish (cut the head and clean it). Dust them with a little salt and turmeric powder keep them aside.
- Now just microwave the tamarind with 1 cup of water for 30 seconds or soak them for an 5-10minutes. Mash it well and strain the tamarind water.
- Now add red chili powder, salt, coriander powder and turmeric powder into the tamarind water.
- Mix it all together. You can taste and adjust the sour and spicy consistency from the above mixture.
- Now grind the onion and garlic into coarse paste and keep them aside.
- Grind the tomatoes into smooth paste and keep them aside.
- Now take a wide pan add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil add vadagam (optional), fry them for a minute.
- After that add ground onion paste, curry leaves saute it very well.
- Once the raw smell goes off add the tomato paste and mix it all together. Let them sit in the heat for few minutes until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the tamarind water mixture
- Taste the salt and adjust according to it.
- Add 2 tbsp of sesame oil and bring it to boil in medium heat till the oil floats on top.
- The gravy should taste little sour and spicy.
- Finally add the fish and just bring it to a boil only once and remove from heat.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves.
If you don’t use vadagam, substitute with some fresh garlic (2) and 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds.