Spicy Mutton Chukka
I am sure you have one of these obscure things in the vast array of food that we consume, that just hits the spot with certain dishes. Mutton chukka is one of those dishes for me. Being a southie, it tastes heavenly with rice dishes like Sambar rice, Rasam rice & even Briyani. If you make it a little not-so-dry you can even have it paratha or rotis.
- Oil : 1/4 cup
- Mutton : 1/2 kg (cut into small pieces)
- Onion :Â 2 cups
- Tomato : 1/2 cup
- Chili Powder : 2 tbsp
- Green chilies : 2 to 3
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Ginger : 2 tbsp
- garlic : 3
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cloves: 3
- Bay leaves : 2
- Cinnamon : 1/4 “
- Curry leaves : 8 to 10
Method Of Preparation:
- Heat 2tsp of oil in a pan add cumin seeds and fennel seeds after it sputter add 1/4 cup of onions and 2 green chilies fry them till it becomes translucent.
- After that remove from heat let it cool and grind them with ginger and garlic into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker add the ground paste and fry them in medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- And add the mutton with turmeric powder, a glass of water and little salt.
- Mix it all together and pressure cook the mutton for 4 whistle in medium heat. after that remove from heat and keep them aside.
- After its cool just separate the water andÂ mutton from the pressure cooker. Keep them separately.
- Now heat the remaining oil in a pan add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and the remaining onions fry them till onions turn into light brown.
- Now add the tomatoes with little salt and red chilli powder, mix it all together and close the lid of the pan.
- Let it cook covered in medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the mutton in the pan and mix them with masalas and add 1/4 cup of pressure cook water.
- Add the curry leaves on top of it.
- Fry them till it becomes dry and remove from heat.
- Serve them hot with roti or rice.