Spicy Shrimp Curry
Shrimp or prawn curry is one of the most popular south India non-vegetarian dishes. I’ve learnt this recipe from my Mother-in-law. Her shrimp curry has to be the tastiest shrimp I’ve had. It goes very well chapathi, sambar rice and rasam. You can make this in different consistencies depending on your taste.
You could make it as a gravy so it goes well with chapathi or naan or you could make it as a dry dish by leaving it in low heat for a long time. That’s how my husband likes it. have fun cooking this spicy shrimp curry and let me know if you try this recipe.
Preparation Time : 45 minutes
No of servings : 3-4
Spice level : 3 out of 5
- Shrimp : 500gms (washed and cleaned) (deshelled)
- Onion : 1(large)(finely chopped)
- Tomatoes :2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger & Garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 11/2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup
- Curry Leaves : 7-8
For Seasonings :
- Oil : 2tbsp
- Cloves : 2
- Cinnamon : 1 “
- Bay Leaves : 2
Method Of Preparation:
- Heat Oil in a pan add cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves . Then add chopped onions fry them till it becomes golden brown.
- Now add the ginger & garlic paste, fry them for few more minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and curry leaves, fry them for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder(you can also substitute sambar powder 2 tbsp instead of red chili and coriander powder). Fry them for 4-5 minutes in slow heat.
- Finally add the shrimp(deveined), coriander leaves and a cup of water. Cook them in slow heat till the shrimp gets fully cooked.
- You can adjust the thickness of the gravy by adjusting cooking time.
- Once it’s done garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve it hot with rice or chapathi.