Seafood Paella (Traditional Spanish Recipe) and an Award
Paella is a traditional spanish dish. But it tastes almost like Indian Briyani. The speciality of paella is its used to cook in a special paella pan which is a large, shallow, flat pan.
Paella is a typical Valencian rice dish from Spain. The origin of the name paella is in the Valencian for frying pan. This word in turn derives from Latin patella and is akin to French poÃªle, Italian padella, Old Spanish padilla and New Mexican Spanish puela. Paella is usually garnished with vegetables and meat or seafood. The three key ingredients are rice , saffron, and olive oil. An important part of the flavor comes from the addition of saffron and the sofrito, or the combination of tomatoes, and garlic (and sometimes peppers).
if you are a vegan one canÂ substitute vegetables instead of meat . My husband used to talk about this dish and he said its tastes so like Fish biriyani . So, I wanted to try this at home and made this for a party. Everyone loved it and I was a happy camper.
- Basmati Rice or Long Grain rice : 2cups
- Olive oil : 1/4 cup
- Tomato : 1
- Garlic Cloves : 3 (Minced)
- ShallotsÂ or Pearl onions : 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves : 2
- Saffron Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Dry white wine : 1/2 cup
- salt : 1 tsp
- Chicken Stock : 4 cups
- Chicken : 1/2 cup (cut into cube sized)
- Shrimp : 1/2 cup (deveined and halved lengthwise)
- fish : 3 tbsp ( cut in to cube sized)
- lemon : 1 ( halved)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil : 1 tbsp (optional)
Method Of Preparation :
- Preheat the oven in to 425 Degree F . Heat 1/4 cup of Olive oil in a flat pan over medium heat . ( traditionally it is used to cook in a paella pan and bake the dishÂ in the oven using that pan but if you don’t find one no worries you can just use a regular pan and transfer it in to a oven safe dish and bake it.)
- Now add the shallots or pearl onion into it and saute for 2 minutes.
- And add the garlic , bay leaves and saute until the shallots or pearl onions are tender and translucentÂ fry them about 1 minute.
- Now sprinkle the saffron powder over the mixture and saute it for another 1 minute.
- Add the basmati rice ( washed and drained) and gently fry them so it is coated with oil (Make sure you didn’t break the rice) .
- Stir it in the wine and salt and warm chicken stock (Boil the chicken stock in a small pan when its warm transfer it in to this) .
- Now slowly increase heat from simmer to high and remove from heat.
- Transfer this in to a flat oven safe dish coated with olive oil .
- Sprinkle tomatoes over the rice mixture. And Nestle the shrimp , fish and chicken into it.
- carefully transfer the pan and bake paella uncovered for about 35 minutes or till the rice is tender and the seafood is cooked.
- After that removeÂ paella from the oven.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro and sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil ( which is optional) .
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the paella and serve hot.
Uma Of Teluguruchi Passed this wonderful award to us. Thanks a ton Uma for passing this awesome award to us. Its really very sweet of you.
And we would like to pass this to some of our good friends .
- Lothi of Naturalremediesathome .
- Shri of EminentLife .
- Aartee of Nalabhagam .
As some of our friends mentioned in the commentsÂ basmati rice is not used in the traditional recipe instead they use long grain rice. Its just something I forgot to mention in the first place. Thanks cham and kalai for the reminder.