Most of you from Tamilnadu would have heard about Iyengar Bakery and their popular Vegetable Bread Sandwich. It is one of my favorite among the other dishes from the bakery. It is simple and very tasty. My father in law is an expert in making this sandwich and we all love it. He is here with us and now I get to eat it for breakfast on almost everyday.
I can’t wait to share this simple sandwich recipe with you. Keep the vegetables chopped the night before and make it for a quick breakfast or even for lunch pack. It tastes great even after so many hours of making. All you need to do is wrap it in an aluminum foil and it will stay fresh until evening. It even tastes better. I am not exaggerating!!! It is healthy, both kids and adults will like it. There may be different versions of this sandwich but this is my favorite because of its simple procedure and the great taste.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Spice level: 2 out of 5
Yield: 5 sandwiches
- Whole wheat bread slices – 10
- Finely grated carrots – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped green bell pepper – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped onion – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped tomato – 1/4 cup
- Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ketchup – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Mix all the vegetables in a bowl. Add required amount of salt just before making the sandwich.
- Preheat the grill or panini maker over medium high setting.
- Take 5 slices of bread and spread butter on one side of each bread.
- Similarly spread ketchup on the remaining 5 slices of bread.
- Take a slice of bread with butter and one with ketchup. Fill it 3 tbsp with vegetables, close it.
- Spread butter on top of the bread and on the grill. Now grill it for 3 to 4 minutes or until it becomes brown with beautiful grill marks.
- Remove from heat and serve or wrap it withan aluminum foil for lunch pack.