Aloo Palak Curry – Spinach Potato Dry Curry
Aloo Palak Curry (Spinach Potato Dry Curry) is a tasty Indian dish in which potatoes and spinach are cooked in a spicy mixture. This is a dry version of this dish which can be served with rice or roti (Indian flat breads). Most of us have some kind of greens and potatoes at home. So if you want to make a delicious curry for lunch or dinner then this is the dish. Even if you are not a huge fan of spinach, you will love this dish and you can also make kids eat spinach this way. Try this dish and let me know how it turns out.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
No. of servings: 4 to 5
Spice level: 3 out of 5
- Boiled Gold Potatoes – 2 big ones (or 8 baby potatoes)
- A bunch of spinach (about 200 gram or 7 oz)
- Half onion chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder – 3/4 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 to 7
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Heat a tbsp oil a wide pan and add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, asafoetida followed by chopped onions.
- Add some salt and saute until translucent and then add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves.
- Saute for a couple of minutes and add chopped spinach.
- Cook until spinach is shrunk and cooked. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Add a little water if required and let them cook until the raw smell of spices are gone and spinach is well incorporated, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Check for salt.
- Peel boiled potatoes and cut into big cubes. If you are using baby potatoes, cut into two or three pieces.
- In a separate pan add a tbsp of oil and fry the potatoes till the edges are brown.
- Add potatoes to the spinach mixture and cook for 5 minutes until it is nicely coated with the spices.
- Add the remaining oil and cook over medium heat until everything comes together. Sprinkle some water and cook if necessary.
- Spinach potato dry curry is ready to be served.