Avarakkai Carrot Poriyal (Stir Fry)
A simple and delicious stir fry with broad beans and carrot. Whenever I have left over vegetables such as beans, carrot or cabbage, I mix them all and make a simple poriyal to go with rice. It is healthy with less oil and a perfect side for rice and sambar/rasam.
- Broad beans (avarakkai) – 300 gram
- Chopped carrot – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Died red chili – 2
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A few curry leaves
- Shredded coconut – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Snap off the ends and remove the strings from avarakkai. Cut into small pieces.
- Peel and chop carrots into small cubes.
- Boil beans and carrot with turmeric powder and 3/4 cup of water until the vegetables becomes tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let it crack.
- Add urad dal, curry leaves, dry chilies and asafoetida. When urad becomes golden brown add boiled vegetables draining the excess water.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes. Add shredded coconut at the end, stir well and turn off the stove.
- Serve with rice and sambar/rasam/yogurt.