Baingan Bhartha – Roasted Eggplant Curry
Baingan Bhartha is a traditional North Indian dish and a vegetarian delight. Traditionally Baingan Bhartha is made from roasted eggplants mashed into the consistency seen in the picture.
My husband hates Eggplants but this time I made him try this and I think I’ve seen a little change of heart towards eggplant from him. I love eggplant dishes and this is one of them.
If you like eggplants too, this is a great recipe to try.
- Egg plant : 1(big)
- Cumin seeds : 2 tsp
- Onion : 1/2 cup(finely chopped)
- Tomato : 1 cup ( finely chopped)
- Garlic : 5-6 ( pressed)
- Ginger : 1 tbsp
- Green chilies : 4
- Red chili powder : 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves : 2 tbsp (for garnishing)
Method Of Preparation:
- Apply oil on eggplant evenly. Preheat the oven for 400 degree F and bake the eggplant for 40-45 minutes by turning the sides of eggplant every 10 minutes.
- After that remove from oven and peel the skin and cut into pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds after it sputters add pressed garlic and ginger.
- Then after a few minutes add onions saute it for few minutes or till it becomes light brown.
- Fry the tomatoes and green chilies in a separate pan and grind them into a smooth paste.
- Now add the paste into the onion mixture bring to boil and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix it all together and let it sit in the heat for 2- 3 minutes. After that add the egg plant.
- Just smash it well with the spatula and mix evenly with the mixture.
- Let it simmer in the heat for 10 -15 minutes.
- After that remove from heat garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: You can cook even without onion. Because baingan bhartha is traditionally cooked with tomato puree. But I like the flavor of onion so I’ve added in it. If you are using the gas stove you can roast the eggplant on open flame till the skin starts to peel off and eggplants start to shrink.