Beans Poricha Kootu – Green Beans and Lentil Curry
Poricha Kootu is one of the popular dishes in South India especially in Tamilnadu. It’s more popular in the Tanjore region of Tamilnadu. It’s a slightly different version of regular Kootu. Kootu is one of my favorite dishes and it’s always easy and comforting to make and eat with Vathal kuzhambhu and rice.
Poricha Kootu can be made with any vegetables. I’ve never tried poricha kootu with green beans and this is the first time I tried it. It tasted really delicious and was a great side dish with Kara kuzhambhu.
Preparation Time : 45 minutes
No of Servings : 3-4
Spice Level : 3 out of 5
- Beans : 2 cup (cut into pieces)
- Moong dal : 1/2 cup or you can also use Chana dal
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Urad dal : 1 tsp
- Ginger : 1/2 tsp (finely chopped)
- Chana dal : 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves : 7-8
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Coriander Seeds : 1 tsp
- Dry whole red chilies : 4
- Whole Black Pepper : 1/4 tsp
- Chana Dal : 1 tsp
- Shredded Coconut : 2 tbsp(optional)
- Urad dal : 1 tsp
- Asafoetida : a pinch
Method Of Preparation :
- Pressure cook moong dal alone and once its fully cooked keep it aside.
- Now cook the beans alone in a pressure cooker or in a boiling water and drain the water keep the beans aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan add all the ingredients one by one listed under To grind.
- Fry them till it becomes golden in color and remove from heat. Let it cool and grind them into smooth paste by adding little water.
- Now add the cooked dal, beans and ground paste in a wide kadai/pan mix it all together and add turmeric powder and salt. Let it sit in the heat.
- Cook in medium heat for 5 minutes by stirring in between.
- Now heat oil in a small pan add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and curry leaves. Once it sputter add the chopped ginger . Fry them together and remove from heat.
- Pour this above mixture over kootu(step 6). Remove from heat. Serve it hot with rice or chapathi.