Bhindi Masala or Okra Curry is a delicious Indian curry in which okra or ladies finger is cooked in a curry sauce and served with roti/chapati. I have added bell pepper to this dish which a twist from the original recipe.
- Okra – 2 lb
- Chopped onion – 1 1/2 cup
- Chopped tomato – 1 cup
- Bell pepper – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Chopped cilantro – 1/2 cup
- Crushed coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When they splutter add freshly crushed coriander seeds and then add chopped onions.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well followed by add the ginger garlic paste.
- After cooking for 2 minutes add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Saute them and then add tomatoes.
- Add a little salt so that tomatoes will be cooked fast and let the tomatoes soften.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and chili powder and mix well.
- In between, heat 2 tsp of oil in a frying pan and add the cut okra and toss it for a couple of minutes.
- Add a little salt, cover and cook the okra till for 5 to 6 minutes stirring every 2 minutes. Okra will be browned and almost cooked. Do not let it become mushy.
- Now add cubed bell peppers to the onion tomato gravy and sprinkle some water.
- Let the bell pepper cook until it is soft and then add fried okra.
- Gently mix them and add about 1/2 cup of water. Let it come to a boil and add chopped cilantro, mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat stirring every 5 minutes. A thick curry is obtained.
- Remove from heat and Bhindi Masala is ready.
Serve hot with Chappathy/Parota.