Karela Fry – Bitter Gourd Fry
This is a simple South Indian dish in which bitter gourd is marinated with salt and spices and then fried. It is served with rice and sambar/rasam. Because of its bitter taste many of us don’t cook this vegetable often. But when you soak it in tamarind water or salt and turmeric, you can reduce the bitterness to a certain extent. It is good have it once in a while because of its nutrition and medicinal values.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
No. of servings: 2 to 3
- Bitter gourd – 4 (medium size)
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Wash bitter gourd and slit it. Remove the seeds and pith.
- Cut into thin slices and mix it with required salt and half of the turmeric powder and set it aside for half an hour.
- After half an hour, you will see some liquid collected in the bowl.
- Drain the liquid and mix it sambar powder, chili powder and the rest of the turmeric powder and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add marinated bitter gourd and fry until brown and crisp or if you like it a little raw, you can remove it early.
- Check for salt and add if necessary. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for it to become brown and crisp.
- Serve with rice and sambar/rasam/yogurt.