Channa Dal Curry / Kadalai Paruppu Kuzhambu
My bro-in-law Ashwanth called me and asked for a recipe without any veggies. This Channa Dal Kuzhambu came into my mind and I told him the recipe. Then I also prepared the same dish. This is a very easy recipe and if there is nothing to cook we can make this Kuzhambu. This curry will be good both with rice and Chappati.
Time of Preparation : 40 minutes
No of Servings : 3 to 4
Spice Level – 3
- Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion (medium size) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (grated)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (grated)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Green Chillies – 3 (slitted lengthwise)
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 3 (crushed)
- Cinnamon – 1″ stick
- Cloves – 2
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the channa dal for half an hour and pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric and asafoetida for 4 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add 3/4th of the onions and fry till they become translucent.
- Add the green chillies followed by the grated ginger and grated garlic.
- Fry for 2 minutes and add the tomatoes and salt.
- Then add the turmeric powder and sambar powder and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Update:Now add the cooked channa dal and add some water.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Grind the coconut and fennel seeds and add to the mixture.
- Add water to required consistency.
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and add the cinnamon, cloves, crushed garlic followed by the onions.
- Fry till they become soft and season it to the curry.
- Serve hot with rice or chappati.