Podalangai Poricha Kuzhambu (Snake Gourd Lentil Stew)
Poricha Kuzhambu is a traditional dish from Tamil Nadu which is prepared from lentils, spices and vegetables and served with cooked rice. There are different versions of this dish. This one is a simple and yummy recipe from my mom and one of my all time favorite dish. Different type of lentils such as toor dal, moong dal and channa dal can be used for this dish. Today I am going to make it with channa dal and moong dal (protein rich). The perfect combination for this dish would be paruppu usli or potato fry (urulai fry). My mouth waters when I imagine that…
- Snake Gourd – 500 gram (1.1 lb)
- Channa dal – 3/4 cup
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Dried red chilies – 6 to 7
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh or frozen shredded coconut – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- A few curry leaves (7 to 8)
- Urad dal – 1tsp
- One dried red chili (optional)
- A big pinch of asafoetida
Method of Preparation:
- Wash channa dal and moong dal and pressure cook or boil with two cups of water, turmeric powder, a pinch of asafoetida and a few drops of oil.
- Also pressure cook chopped snake gourd with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt in a separate bowl along with the dal or you can cook them in a separate container by boiling with a little water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add coriander seeds followed by channa dal, urad dal and dry red chilies.
- When dal becomes golden brown, add coconut and turn off heat.Toss for a minute and let it cool.
- Grind with some water to form a coarse paste nd then mix it with the cooked dal.
- Combine cooked snake gourd, dal mixture and a little water and bring it to a boil in a sauce pan and remove from heat.
- In a small pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and let it splutter. And them add urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida. When urad dal becomes brown add this to the prepared gravy. Poricha Kuzhambu is ready.