Red Bell Pepper Chutney
Red Bell Pepper Chutney, a flavorful dish prepared by roasting red peppers and onions and grind it along with peanuts, tamarind, chilies. As you see this chutney is spicy, sweet and tangy and all of them are balanced well. You can serve this as a condiment with dosa, idli, upma or as a spread on a toasted bread or even mix it with plain rice and serve with papad. You can store it in the refrigerator for upto a week.
Preparation time: 30 mins
No. of Servings: 8
Spice level: 3.5 out of 5
- Red Bell Pepper – 3
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Long dried red chilies – 3 to 4
- Medium size onion – 1
- Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup (no skin)
- Whole tamarind – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Method of Preparation:
- Add tamarind in 1/4 cup of warm water and leave it for 10 minutes to let it soften.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and saute onions until it becomes translucent. Transfer it to a plate.
- Heat a tbsp of oil and saute chopped red bell pepper until it becomes brown and soft. Let it cool.
- In the same pan roast dried chilies and garlic with the remaining oil until garlic turns golden brown. Let it cool.
- Grind everything along with tamarind, roasted peanuts, salt and jaggery to a paste.
- Store it in an air tight container and refrigerate it for upto a week.