Red Bell Pepper Chutney
Red Bell Pepper Chutney is a sweet and spicy chutney and can be served with rice or as a condiment with idli/dosa or toasted bread. I had it at one of my friend’s place and it was wonderful. I got the recipe from her and I am so happy share it with you all.
Preparation time: 30 mins
No. of Servings: 4-5
Spice level: 3.5 out of 5
- Red Bell Pepper – 2
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Long dried red chilies – 8
- Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
- Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 cup (no skin)
- Whole tamarind – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp and 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 strings
- Urad dal or split white lentils – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Add tamarind juice to 1/4 cup of hot water and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and add urad dal followed by onions, dried red chilies and garlic.
- Saute for a minute and add chopped bell peppers and saute until it is sizzling and tender.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Grind along with softened tamarind and roasted peanuts to a fine paste.
- Temper the chutney with oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Refrigerate and store it upto a week in an air tight container.
Serve the chutney with white rice or idly/dosa or chappathi or toasted bread.