Simple Kara Kuzhambu / Indian Spicy Curry
Kara Kuzhumbu is a popular dish in South India. This is a basic Kara Kuzhambu recipe with very less ingredients and very easy to make. My mother-in-law makes Kara Kuzhambu in this way. Whenever I feel bored to cook, I will make this Kara Kuzhambu and just papad.
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
No of servings : 4
Spice level : 4
Method of Preparation:
- Onion – 1/4 cup (chopped lengthwise)
- Tomato – 1/2 (chopped)
- Small brinjal – 2 (cut lengthwise)
- Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a thick bottomed kadai and add the mustard seeds.
- After it splutters, add the fenugreek seeds.
- Then add the asafoetida and curry leaves followed by the chopped onions.
- Fry till they become translucent and add the tomatoes followed by the salt.
- Fry till they become soft and add the cut brinjals.
- Fry them till they become little soft and add the turmeric powder followed by the sambar powder.
- Take extract from the tamarind and add the tamarind water and let it boil till it becomes thick.
- Add another 2 tbsp of oil and serve with hot rice and papad.
- Adding sesame oil will give more taste to the kuzhambu.