Spinach curry is one of my favorite of my mom’s recipe. It is simple but tasty dish. You can have it with rice or chappathy. This dish is full ofÂ iron and protein as it contains dal. Here you go…
- Chopped Spinach – 4 cups
- (Split bean) Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dried red chillies – 4 (adjust to taste)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- (Split white lentil) Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the chopped spinach and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes till it becomes soft
- Cook the moong dal in pressure cooker or microwave it for 10 minutes. It should be mashed.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and add mustard seedsÂ followed by cumin seeds, urad dal and red chillies.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add onion and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry till it gets mashed.
- Add the spinach and mix them them well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Now if you think there is less spice, you can add sambar powder, mix it wellÂ and leave it for 2 more minutes.
- Add the mashed moong dal to the above mixture and combine well.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Keep on stirring till you get the desired consistency.
- It is as simple as that. Spinach curry is ready.
Serve hot with Rice or Chappathy.