Black Chickpeas Masala Sundal / Kala Channa Masala Sundal
I cooked Breakfast Korma yesterday and the chickpeas which I used was there. My mother-in-law gave the idea of making this Masala sundal and I made the sundal for the evening snack. It was really tasty .
Time of Preparation : 15 minutes
Spice level : 4
No of Servings – 2 to 3
- Black chickpeas / Kala Channa (boiled) – 2 cups
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urad dal – 2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Salt – to taste
Masala to Grind:
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green Chillies – 4 (according to spice level)
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the channa for 6 to 8 hours and pressure cook it by adding some salt
- Grind all the ingredients in the masala to grind by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- After they split, add the asafoetida followed by red chillies, split urad dal and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till they become translucent.
- Now add the ground paste and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add little salt and add the boiled channa.
- Mix well with the masala for 5 minutes and add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.