Kale and Cheese in Puff Pastry
Kale and Cheese Puff Pastry makes a wonderful appetizer. You can also have it for breakfast with a glass of orange juice. This is easy to make and you can substitute the Swiss cheese with Gruyere cheese or any other similar tasting cheese. And I have used kale here. You can also try spinach or any other leafy vegetable of your choice. Try this for this holiday season and let me know how it turns out.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
No. of servings: 12 pieces
Beaten egg for egg wash (optional)
- One package puff pastry (2 sheets)
- Kale - a bunch (or 3 cups chopped)
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Swiss cheese – 1/2 cup
- Dijon mustard – 1 or 2 tbsp (adjust to taste)
- Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup
- Fresh or dried oregano – 1/8 tsp
- Crushed red pepper – 1/8 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
- Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp
- Basil – 1/8 tsp
- Olive oil
Method of Preparation:
- Thaw your puff pastry sheet for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped garlic, chopped kale, sprinkle some salt and cook till it shrinks and the raw smell goes off.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix parmesan with a little salt and all the spices. Mix it with cooked kale.
- Once puff pastry is thawed, spread it on a floured surface and roll it out a bit.
- Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or butter and place the rolled pastry.
- Now brush it with dijon mustard leaving an inch around the edges.
- Sprinkle the kale mixture and some cheese on top. Sprinkle some olive oil and brush the edges with egg wash.
- Spread the other sheet on floured surface and roll it out and cover the pastry sheet with kale and cheese.
- Cut three large slits and brush the top with some egg wash and refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
- Trim the edges if required and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes until it puffs up and becomes nice golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool and cut it into 12 pieces or if you want it bite size, you can cut it into small squares. Serve hot or warm.