Samosa ( Stuffed Potato Indian Snack )
Samosa is a potato stuffed, deep fried snack which is very popular in India. I am a huge fan of samosa and I wanted to make proper punjabi samosa for a long time. The secret ingredients for making a proper punjabi samosa are coriander seeds, dry pomegranate seeds and fennel seeds. Samosas came out really good and I am so excited to share the recipe.
Time of Preparation : 1 hr
Spice level : 3
No of servings : 20 (medium size)
For Outer Layer:
- Maida / All Purpose Flour – 2 cups
- Carom seeds (Ajwain seeds) – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 (very finely chopped)
- Ginger (grated) – 1 tbsp
- Potatoes(medium size) – 3 (boiled and mashed)
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Pomegranate seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Peas – 1/2 cup (frozen)
- Cashews – 1 tbsp (roasted) (optional)
- Oil – for deep frying
Method of Preparation:
- Mix maida, salt and carom seeds and add the ghee.Mix it in such a way that there are no lumps.
- Add water to it little by little so that the dough should be little stiff.
- Cover it with a damp cloth for half an hour.
- In the meantime dry roast coriander seeds, fennel seeds and dry pomegranate seeds and powder them coarsely and keep it aside.
- Now for the stuffing, heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Then add the green chillies followed by the grated ginger and the potatoes (boiled and mashed coarsely).
- Now add the red chilly powder followed by coriander powder and dry mango powder.
- Now add the freshly powdered coriander, fennel and dry pomegranate powder and mix well.
- Add the peas salt and cashews and mix well till the raw smell goes.
- Now divide the dough to 10 equal sized balls and roll them to thin oval shape.
- cut to two halves and apply water to the edges.
- Make it like a cone (center straight part will come as the tip of the cone) and add a spoon full of the potato stuffing.
- Seal the edges by applying water.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and fry the samosoa in the medium heat.
- Fry till they become golden brown and serve hot with coriander chutney or ketchup.