Neer More – Spiced Buttermilk
Neer More, that is what Spiced Buttermilk is called in tamil. It is a refreshing drink and the best drink to beat the summer heat. It is very easy to prepare in a short time. Back in India, during summer time there would be “More Pandhal”, places where “Neer More” is served on the road side under a temporary shed set up by well wishers. It is just to serve people a refreshing drink which gives them a temporary relief from the scorching summer heat. Some people have a big pot full of this beverage outside their houses for the passers by as a token of good will. There is nothing better than serving people around us without expecting anything in return.
Have a glass full of buttermilk and get refreshed!!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- One small green chili (or half)
- Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
- Asafoetida – a big pinch
- Curry leaves – 7 or 8
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Beat the yogurt with a whisk and gradually add water to it whisking constantly until smooth. You can use a wooden churner for this process which is traditionally used to churn buttermilk.
- Grind green chili, ginger, asafoetida, salt to a paste. Finally add 6 curry leaves and pulse a few times. Do not grind it too much.
- Mix it in the buttermilk and stir well.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add the remaining curry leaves and remove from heat.
- Temper the buttermilk with the above mustard and curry leaves.
- Serve chill.