Godhuma Rava Upma / Cracked Wheat Upma
I made this cracked wheat upma after a long time since my husband does not like upma. Since my father-in-law is here with us now, I am making all the varieties of upma for breakfast. Here is the recipe for the healthy cracked wheat upma.
Time of Preparation : 20 minutes
No of Servings : 2 to 3
Spice level – 3
- Cracked wheat – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a few
- Green chillies – 6 (according to spice level)
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Carrot, beans and peas – 1/2 to 3/4 cup (cut into small squares and boiled 3/4th)
- Water – 2 3/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Heat ghee in a pan and toss the cracked wheat for a minute.
- Heat oil in a wide vessel and add the mustard seeds followed by asafoetida, curry leaves, channa dal, and urad dal.
- When the dals turn golden brown, add the green chillies followed by the onions.
- Fry till they become translucent and add the water and salt.
- When the water starts boiling add the vegetables.
- Keep it in the medium flame and add the cracked wheat slowly.
- Cover it for 10 minutes until it is combined.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.