Grilled Veggie Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Veggie Cheese Sandwich is my all time favorite sandwich. This version of sandwich is loaded with vegetables and some cheese. So this is a healthy and yummy sandwich and you should definitely try it. Kids will love it. I have used ciabatta bread to make this sandwich. You can substitute it with any bread such as Italian or french loaf, etc. I bought this bread from Panera Bread company. You can also check your local bakery or grocery store.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
No. of servings: 4 sandwiches
Spice level: 2 out of 5
- Ciabatta bread – 1 big loaf
- Thinly sliced onions – 1/2 cup
- Half red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- Half zucchini, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes – 2 (thinly sliced)
- Arugula – 1 cup
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Mozzarella cheese – 4 slices
- White vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Red wine vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning – 1 tsp (optional)
Method of Preparation:
- Heat a tsp of olive oil in a wide skillet and saute onions with a little salt and pepper.
- In between, add white vinegar, red wine vinegar, 2 pods of chopped garlic and Italian seasoning and saute till onion absorb the flavor and get caramelized.
- Transfer onions to a plate.
- In the same pan add a tsp of oil and saute thinly sliced red bell pepper with a little salt and pepper.
- Saute till red peppers are half cooked and crisp. transfer the peppers to a plate.
- In the same pan sauce sliced zucchini with salt and pepper till zucchini softens that is for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer it to a plate. Do not burn any of the vegetables.
- Heat a wide griddle or grill over medium heat or use an electric griddle.
- Keep everything ready and slice the bread in half lengthwise.
- When griddle is hot, spread butter on the griddle and rub a garlic pod over the butter to infuse the flavor. Place the bread with the soft side (inner side) facing down.
- When it becomes golden brown, turn the bread and line the vegetables one by one and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Finally top it with cheese slices.
- Cover it with the other half of the bread and place a heavy iron grill or a heavy weight on top till the cheese melts.
- Now turn the bread with cheese side down and remove the top bread and top it with arugula and cover it.
- Place the weight back on top for a minute.
- Now remove from griddle and place it on a cutting board and cut into desired size sandwiches
- Serve hot. You can also serve with spicy mayo or other sauce of your choice.