Masala Fried Idly / Fried Idly in Spiced Curry
When I was in collage I remembered having this Masala fried Idly in a function in my native place. Today I had some left over idlies and I am bored of making same Idly Upma. Suddenly I had a thought of making this Masala Fried Idly. Immediately I got this recipe from my sister and tried it. It came out so good and it is real simple too.
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
Spice level : 3 out of 5
For Fried Idly:
- Left over Idlies – 6
- All purpose flour – 3 tsp
- Cornflour – 3 tsp
- Orange food color – a pinch
- Oil – For frying
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 “
- Cloves – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 2 (according to spice level)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (chopped)
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Onions (preferably red onions) – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 1 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp (chopped and soaked in water)
- Bay leaf – 1
- Food color – a pinch (optional)
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Fried cashews – 1 tsp (for garnishing)
Method of Preparation:
- First to prepare the masala, heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon sticks followed by cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, red chillies, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic and chopped onions.
- Add some salt and fry till they become translucent and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till they become soft and let it cool.
- Grind it along with the soaked cashews and make it to a smooth paste.
- Add some water so that it forms a thick gravy.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the bay leaf. Then add the ground masala and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with fried cashews and coriander leaves.
- Now mix the corn flour and all purpose flour. Add the food color in little water and add it to the flour mixture to form a thick paste.
- In the meantime heat oil in a pan and dip the idly one by one and fry them when the oil become hot.
- Now pour the masala on top of the fried idlies andd serve them immediately.
- Adding food color to the masala is totally optional. If needed, add the food color with little water when the gravy is boiling.
- We can cut the idlies to pieces and then fry them.