Puttu – Steamed Rice Flour Cake
Puttu is one of the most famous breakfast dishes in kerala (southern part of India). Its one of my favorite too. Its been a very long time since I had tasted puttu. Now that my Mother-In-law is here visiting us. she made this for us. I always thought puttu can be made only with puttu kutti (puttu maker). I’ve now learnt how to make this without the help of a tool and with simple kitchen items. Its a very easy breakfast to make and could be served at short notice. It’ll serve as a healthy eat as well as take care of the sweet tooth.
I am sending this to EasyCrafts “Think cardamom event”
- Raw Rice : 2 cups
- Shredded Coconut: 1/2 cup
- Elachi powder/ cardamom powder : 1 tsp
- sugar : 1/4 cup ( according to your sweet level)
- salt : 2 tsp
- water : To sprinkle
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the rice for three hours.
- Andleave it in a strainer and let it drain or if u have a thin cloth spread the rice in it or spread it in a plate.
- when its dry grind them in a mixer into a fine powder.
- Heat the powder in a pan for 5 minutes and keep stirring it while its heating.
- Cool the fried powder.
- Now add salt in some hot water .
- Sprinkle this water into the rice powder and gently fold the rice ( don’t add lots of water ).
- Make sure the rice is in powder form and not in dough .
- Now steam the rice flour in idli cooker ( put a thin muslin cloth in the idli cooker plate and put the rice flour in it).or you can use puttumaker instead of idli plates.
- After that its done remove from heat and transfer it to a bowl.
- Add sugar, shredded coconut and elachi/cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Serve it hot.
You can also use puttumaker for making this. Or If you don’t have one after everything is done, fill a measuring cup full of puttu and make a mould of it like in the picture above to make it look good. Garnish with some shredded coconut , cardamom and saffron.