Puttu is a breakfast dish popular in Kerala and Tamilnadu. Puttu is served with kadalai curry and banana. It can also be served with sugar and banana. It takes very less time to make this dish. Puttu Podi is available in most of the Indian stores here. There are white rice and chemba rice (red rice) podi available. I have used chemba puttu podi for make this dish.
Puttu Kutti or Puttu maker is used to make the cylindrical shape puttu. You can also use idli plates to make this dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
No. of servings: 2 to 3
- Chemba puttu podi or Brown rice puttu flour – 2 cups
- Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cardamom – 3 nos.
- Ghee or Clarified butter – 1 tsp
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Boil a cup of water and add a quarter teaspoon of salt.
- Take 2 cups of puttu podi in a bowl and sprinkle some salted hot water and mix well.
- Continue this until the flour hold its shape when you squeeze it in your palm.
- If there is not enough water, the puttu will not be cooked.
- The flour needs to be wet and free flowing. Add powdered cardamom and mix well.
- If you have ‘puttu kutti’, the utensil to make puttu, fill the bottom portion (the pot) with water till it is half full.
- Fill the top portion with two handful of the prepared powder and 2 tbsp of shredded coconut and again with two handful of powder and repeat it till it is full.
- Cover it with the lid and place it on top of the pot and Cook over medium until for 12 minutes or until steam starts coming out of the holes in the lid.
- If you don’t have a puttu kutti, you can use your idly plates. For detailed procedure, check White Rice Flour Cake.
Enjoy your puttu.