Parmigiana or eggplant parmigiana (Italian: melanzane alla parmigiana or parmigiana di melanzane) is a Southern Italian dish made with shallow fried eggplant (aubergine) slices layered with cheese and tomato sauce, then baked.
In some versions, the eggplant slices are first dipped in beaten eggs and dredged in flour or breadcrumbs before frying. Some recipes use hard grated cheeses such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano, while others use softer melting cheeses like Mozzarella or Caciocavallo, or a combination of these.
- Big eggplant – 1
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs – 2 cups [Substitute: 2 cups bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp dried marjoram]
- All purpose flour or Maida – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3
- Spaghetti sauce – 1 large can
- Mozzarella cheese – 8 oz
- Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup
- Fresh basil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Cut your eggplant into round thin slices and spread it on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper all over the eggplant slices the turning both the sides.
- If you are not using Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, mix the dry Italian spices with breadcrumbs along with a little salt.
- Heat a wide skillet and add the mixed breadcrumbs or the ready Italian seasoned bread crumbs and heat for a while stirring constantly. Transfer it to a plate.
- In a bowl whisk all the eggs and keep it ready.
- Keep the flour ready in a plate or bowl.
- Heat oil in a wide pan about 1/2 inch in depth.
- Now dip the seasoned eggplant slices one by one in flour, and then in eggs and finally roll in breadcrumbs.
- Shake off the excess bread crumbs and fry it in oil turning both the sides until golden brown.
- Follow the same with other eggplant slices.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease a baking dish with some oil, pour some spaghetti sauce, arrange the fried eggplants, sprinkle some chopped basil and then some mozzarella cheese and a little parmesan cheese on top.
- Again pour some sauce, followed by fried eggplants, basil and cheese.
- Repeat the procedure and finally top it with cheese.
- Bake for half an hour. Remove from oven and cut into slices just before serving.