Mixed Dal Curry – Mixed Lentil Soup
This is a protein packed lentil soup with no oil. This is a quick and simple recipe. And this is suitable for the 28 Day Weight Loss and Detox Program. I have used four types of lentils (dals) in this recipe. Lentils are a good source of protein and fiber along with folate, vitamin B and minerals. Red (or pink) lentils contain a lower concentration of fiber than green lentils (11% rather than 31%). I have added whole masoor dal, green split pea, split pigeon peas and channa dal (bengal gram) along with spinach. This is a healthy and tasty dal or soup. You can serve it with brown rice or white rice or roti along with a salad. Here you go…
Preparation time: 30 minutes
No. of servings: 5 to 6
Spice level: 3 out of 5
- Whole Masoor dal – 1/4 cup
- Split green peas – 1/2 cup
- Toor dal - 1/4 cup
- Channa dal – 1/4 cup
- Spinach – a big bunch
- Chopped onion – 1/4 cup
- Tomato – 1
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 1
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- Chopped garlic – 1 tsp
- Fresh lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Vegetable broth – 2 and 1/2 cups (can substitute with water)
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak the lentils or dals for half a hour. It reduces the cooking time and it is optional.
- Clean and roughly chop spinach.
- In a pressure cooker add soaked lentils, turmeric powder, chili powder, sambar powder, green chili, salt, chopped onion and tomato, ginger and garlic, spinach and finally vegetable broth. You can also use a cooker vessel instead of directly cooking it in a pressure cooker.
- Vegetable broth gives it a nice flavor. But if don’t have it in your pantry, you can substitute it with water.
- Give it a stir and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Turn off the stove and let the pressure go down.
- Open the cooker and give it a nice stir. Dal curry is ready.
- Add lime juice and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- If there is excess water, just boil the curry for a few minutes till i becomes thick. Or if the curry is too thick, add some more broth or water and boil till it reaches the required consistency.
Serve hot with brown rice or white rice or roti.