Unniyappam / Unni appam ( Onam Special )
Unniyappam is a famous festival snack in Kerala which is made for all special occasions. I made this Unniyappam for Krishna Jayanthi and I am planning to make this for Onam too. I got this recipe from my sis-in-law and I just loved it .
Time of Preparation : 3 hours (including resting time)
No of pieces : around 40
- Raw Rice – 3/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup (crushed)
- Banana – 1/2 (big one)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Wheat flour – 3 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cashews – 2 tbsp (broken)
- Ghee – as required
- Baking soda – a pinch (optional)
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the raw rice for 2 to 3 hours.
- Grind it smoothly without adding water.
- Add the Jaggery and grind it.
- Finally add the banana and grind it smoothly.
- Add 3 tbsp of wheat flour, cardamom powder, baking soda and sugar and mix well without any lumps.
- In 2 tsp of ghee fry the cashews and mix well.
- The batter consistency should little thin than Kuzhi Paniyaram batter.
- Heat the Kuzhi paniyaram pan and heat it in medium flame.
- Add very little ghee in each hole and add the batter in each hole.
- Cover it with a lid for 2 minutes.
- After you remove the lid, turn the unniyappam to the other side.
- Add little ghee if needed.
- When both sides turn golden brown, remove them from the heat.
- Yummy Unniyappams are ready.
- Adding sugar is optional. We can increase the jaggery amount by 2 tbsp if needed.
- Adding baking soda is also optional. I did not add the baking soda.
- We have to cook the Unniyappams in medium heat.
- We can use rice flour instead of raw rice and and we can deep fry instead of making in the Paniyaram pan.