Cashew Badam Burfi- Cashew nut and Almond Cake
Burfi or Burfee is a popular sweet confection from India. Some of the popular burfi are made of almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, besan or gram flour and coconut. I am a huge fan of almond and cashew nut burfi. I have always had it from sweet shops. Never tried it at home until recently. It was my dear friend Shriya’s Baby Shower and I wanted to prepare something special for her and I made this almond and cashew nut burfi. I mixed both the nuts because Iredient was short of almonds. It came out so nice. Everyone loved it. Here you go…
Preparation time: 60 minutes
No. of servings: 25 burfis
- Almonds – 1 cup
- Cashew nut – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup (I used 2% milk)
- Ghee or Clarified butter – 6 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 cups (adjust to taste)
- Saffron – 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom – 5
Method of Preparation:
- Soak almonds over night in water or add almonds to boiled water and leave it for an hour.
- Soak cashew nut for two hours in water.
- Remove the skin off almonds and grind it to a coarse and thick paste by adding some milk.
- Grind cashew nuts to a thick paste by adding some milk. Do not forget to grind it separately.
- At a low heat, in a deep bottomed thick pan add 2 tbsp of ghee.
- And immediately add the ground almond and cashew and start stirring.
- Increase the heat a bit and keep on stirring for about 10 minutes.
- Make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom to avoid the formation of golden brown flakes.
- Add sugar and mix well. Sugar melts and form a free flowing mixture.
- Add the rest of the ghee and saffron and keep on stirring until it becomes thick.
- When it starts leaving the sides of the pan, keep on stirring over heat for five more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add powdered cardamom. Keep stirring for some more time even after removing from heat.
- Grease a tray with ghee.
- Transfer it to the greased tray and cut into any shape when it is hot.
- Burfi is ready.