Moong dal Payasam (Kheer) – Lentil Pudding
I’ve already posted a different version of Moong Dal Kheer in ST. I made little changes and tried this version. It came out really tasty. So I wanted to share it with everyone.
With the goodness from the lentils, you can make this quick dessert without the usual guilt. Moong dal is more known for the signature dish – Pongal but it can also be used to make desserts such as this Kheer.
It’s the easiest dessert which can be make it in 30 minutes.
- Moong dal/Yellow split bean : 1 cup
- Ghee : 3 tbsp
- Milk : 2 cups
- Jaggery /Unrefined sugar syrup: 1/2 cup
- Sugar : 1/4 cup
- Shredded coconut : 4 tbsp
- Cashews : 8-9
- Dry grapes : 9-10
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the moong dal for 15 minutes, after that drain them and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan and slightly roast the moong dal till it becomes light brown (as pictured) and remove it.
- And in the same pan add another tbsp of ghee and add all the dry fruits and shredded coconut and dry roast till it becomes golden brown.
- Now add the roasted moong dal into pressure cooker add milk and pressure cook for 4- 5 whistle or till it becomes mashed.
- Remove from heat add the roasted dry fruit and coconut mixture and the jaggery (unrefined sugar) syrup (Boil the jaggery in a cup of water and make a syrup).
- Again let it sit in medium heat for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve it hot or chilled