In my recent India trip, my sister (sujatha) cooked this biryani for me. Since then I become a big fan of it. The flavors are too good and not overpowering. Recently I’ve tried this recipe and it came out very well. My sister made this biryani with prawn, but I don’t get prawn here. So I made it with shrimp. I love shrimp and I always wanted to try shrimp biryani.
This recipe is very easy to make and it tastes as good as chicken biryani.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Spice level: 3 out of 5
- Shrimp : 500gms (washed and cleaned) (deshelled)
- Onion : 2 (medium) (Finely chopped)
- Basmati Rice : 2 cups (soaked for 20 minutes)
- Tomato : 2 (finely chopped)
- Fennel seeds : 2tsp
- Cinnamon : 1″
- Cloves: 3
- Bay leaves : 1
- Ginger & Garlic Paste : 1 1/2tbsp
- Green chili : 4-5 (according to your spice level)
- Curry Leaves : 5-6
- Mint Leaves : 1/2 cup
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- water : 3 cups
- Coriander leaves : a handful
- Red chili powder : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tbsp
- Biryani masala : 1/2 tbsp (optional)
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the Basmati rice for 20 minutes.
- Grind the mint leaves and coriander leaves into coarse paste and keep them aside.
- In between that heat oil in a pressure cooker and add fennel seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves.
- After 2 minutes add onions(chopped) and fry them for few minutes or till it becomes translucent.
- Now add Ginger & Garlic paste and fry them again for few minutes.
- After the raw smell goes off add tomatoes, curry leaves and green chilies .
- Fry them all together by adding salt for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and biryani masala.
- Fry them all together for few more minutes and add the shrimp(deveined) and 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Cook in medium heat for 5-6 minutes till the shrimp becomes little soft and add 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring into boil and add the rice (soaked) and some oil on top of it.
- Now add the ground mixture (mint and coriander leaves) mix it all together.
- Pressure cook the biryani for one whistle or in medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and wait till the pressure goes off.
- After that remove the lid squeeze some lime juice on top of it.
- Serve it hot with raitha and shrimp curry