Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
Hyderabadi Biryani is a Hyderabadi dish based on basmati rice and goat meat. Popular variations use chicken instead of goat.The blending of Mughlai and Telangana cuisines in the kitchens of the Nizam, ruler of the historic Hyderabad State, resulted in the creation of Hyderabadi Biryani. (From wikipedia)
I’ve have had great luck with this biryani recipe in the past but this is the first time I gotta chance to take step by step pics to share it with you. I’ve already posted a different version of Dum Biryani before that required and electric oven but you can make this just on a stove top. There are many different types and versions of regional biryani recipes. And Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is one of the most popular of all.
The secret to this version of biryani is to make sure you don’t over cook the rice in step 8. Enjoy making this “Dum Biryani”.
- Chicken (with bone) : 3/4 kg (washed )
- Onions : 2 (cut lengthwise) (fried deeply)
- Oil : 1/4 cup
- Ghee : 2tbsp
- Basmati Rice : 3 cups (washed and soaked for about 20 minutes)
- Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup
- Mint Leaves : 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves : 1
- Cloves : 2
- shah jeera or black cumin : 2 tsp
- saffron : 1 tsp
Marinade Mix :
- Green Chilies : 5-6 (according to your spice level) (finely chopped)
- Ginger & garlic Paste : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
- Salt : required to taste
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- Shah jeera or Black cumin seeds : 2 tsp
- Red chili powder : 2 tsp
- Lime juice : 2 tbsp
To Grind :
- Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup (chopped finely)
- Mint Leaves :1/2 cup (Chopped Finely )
- Whole Black Pepper / Peppercorns : 7-8
- Bay leaves : 2
- Cloves : 3
- Cinnamon Sticks : 1″
- Green cardamom : 3
Method Of Preparation :
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the sliced onion and deep fry them till it becomes crisp and dark brown (as shown in pic)
- Wash the cut chicken and drain them and kept it aside.
- Now fry the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and whole black pepper grind them into fine powder and finely add the mint leaves, coriander leaves into ground mixture and again pulse it for 2 sec to make a coarse paste.
- Now add the ground mixture with the washed chicken and add the remaining marinade mix and some fried onions into them.
- Mix it all together and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Boil the water in a heavy bottomed wide vessel and when it comes to a full boil, add some oil, ghee, shah jeera, bay leaves (1), cloves (2), cinnamon ( 1/4 ” ).
- When the water comes to full boil add the soaked rice and just cook the rice in high heat for 3 -4 minutes and check the rice it should be half cooked (50% cooked).
- Now carefully drain the rice and keep them aside. ( make sure it’s only half cooked, don’t over cook it )
- Add the saffron in a 3tbsp of hot water and mix it well.
- Heat the same heavy bottomed vessel add some oil, ghee and spread the marinated chicken at the bottom.
- Now add the cooked (half) rice on top of the chicken, spread some fried onions, remaining mint leaves, coriander leaves on top of the rice.
- Finally pour the saffron water on top of it.
- You can dum cook the biryani by covering the vessel with wheat flour dough or with a thick kitchen towel.
- Here I’ve used kitchen towel and put the tight lid on top of it.
- Cook on high heat for 2 – 3 minutes till you see water drops inside the lid.
- Now completely reduce the heat into medium flame and remove the biryani vessel.
- Now place a flat heavy bottomed non-stick pan on the heat and allow it to heat. (this will make sure the bottom part doesn’t burn)
- After that on top of it place the biryani vessel and cook for 30 -35 minutes. (or you can cook the biryani in low heat for 40 minutes)
- You will smell a nice aroma after 30 -35 minutes so that way you will know the biryani is ready now.
- Now turn it off the heat and remove the vessel.
- Slowly remove the lid and kitchen towel and you will see beautifully cooked dum biryani ready for you.
Serve it hot with boiled egg and Raitha. Enjoy your Chicken Briyani !!!!!